Sunday 4 June 2017

Experiences of applying for IRB

In my PhD, Warwick University had established a rigorous process and standard for ethical approval in educational studies. So applying for the approval is a norm and nobody thinks it as a burden.

However, when I returned to Malaysia where IRB application was not there, I tried to retain the practice and attitude for ethics in education research.

Now when I am working in SUTD, I found academics and staff are scared by the tedious process and revision needed in applying IRB. The process in Singapore institutions is indeed more complicated. And people who don't see the benefits of doing it felt frustrated with the process and rejection.

This prompted the thought of challenges faced if UPSI is going to impose IRB. We need a dedicated and strict team to implement this.

No comments:

Post a Comment