Thursday 15 March 2012

"Preparing for your PhD" talk and Quiz on the “blank blue paper”

After I reached UPSI from San Francisco, I straight away got myself ready for two matters:
  • 2:30 pm – 4:30 pm: delivering a talk on “How to prepare for your doctoral study” to fifty over colleagues in UPSI who are getting to embark their doctoral journey.
  • 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm: administering a quiz for my Design Aesthetics students using “blank blue paper” self-learning reflection method.

The former event seems to be run well, and the feedback from participants were quite encouraging, despite only one person asked one question on how to handle issues related to supervisors. I brought along my big scroll of note, my theses (the version used for viva and the final bound version) and some tools I believe would benefit the participants. I might look sleepy and tired after the long flight and travel, but I wish they had sensed my passion and blessing. Good luck my friends, I can’t wait to address you as Dr.!

The other event, which is happening now in front of me, is quite interesting. I split the students physically into two groups—BD in Animation and BD in Advertising, in Dewan Kuliah (Lecture Hall) H. I avoid them cheating, i.e. submit what they have written in advanced, I prepared blue colour papers for the quiz instead of the conventional white A4 papers. Also, to save the consumption of papers, I encourage them to write or draw things in relatively smaller scale. The only question I asked them, and I actually told them before I left for my US trip, is to flush out whatsoever things that they have learned themselves through three sets of notes I prepared for them upfront. I also request them to scan what they have written and post it on their individual blog. Erm…let’s see how it goes. It’s time to collect the outcomes.   

No comments:

Post a Comment